Smoke Signal Announces Next Editor in Chief

Quin

Quinn Suomala checks out the online newspaper.

Margaret Szpakowski and

The Minnechaug Smoke Signal is proud to announce that Quinn Suomala, Class of 2022, will be serving as the Editor-in-Chief for the 2021-2022 school year.
“This position means a lot to me. I’m quite excited to have the opportunity to learn more about the newspaper next year and to work towards making the newspaper even better for our readers than what it already is,” Suomala said.
Suomala has experienced leadership as the head of the Creative Writing Club and published several successful articles with us this year. She also learned journalism skills from her experience in Mr. O’Connor’s journalism class. Over the next three months, current Editor-in-Chief Margaret Szpakowski will be working with Suomala to plan for the transition for next year. She already has ideas for improving the paper.
“In the next year, I am hoping to make the newspaper even more interactive. I would love to figure out a way to have an open response section of a sort for people to write ‘letters to the editor’ with their own suggestions and opinions for new articles or works,” she explained. “I also hope to get more writers invested in earning SNO badges for the paper, as this will help us to earn more credibility and even get some of our pieces read on a national level.” SNO badges are awards given out to top high school newspapers throughout the country. If awarded, reporters have their articles featured nationally.
These suggestions, once put into place, should help strengthen our paper and get our readers more involved. If you have other ideas Suomala should consider, feel free to reach out in the comments.
“Overall, I’m hoping to keep everything about the paper that is already so wonderful, and build on the fantastic foundation that Margaret Szpakowski has left us,” Suomala said.

It has been my honor to lead this paper for the past three years and to work with many talented staff throughout that time, and I am excited to see what changes Suomala and the rest of the rising team will bring in the next year and beyond.