The Student News Site of Minnechaug Regional High School

The Smoke Signal

The Smoke Signal

The Smoke Signal

Polls

Are You a Hybrid, Remote, or Fully In-Person Student?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Minnechaug Students Kick Off Their College Journey

In the gym at Minnechaug Regional High School, conversations blurred into a steady hum as upperclassmen chatted with college representatives and explored prospective schools they wanted to attend in the upcoming years.

“College representatives tend to be application reviewers, so socialization between a student and their potential application reviewer is beneficial on both ends,” said Keith Poulin, guidance counselor and event coordinator. The event is an opportunity for students to attain information on colleges that may pose an interest to them. “College representatives also tend to be application reviewers, so socialization between a student and their potential application reviewer is beneficial on both ends.”

On October 23 from 12 to 2 p.m., mini tables lined the gym, creating the semblance of a horseshoe. The tables represented different colleges, each with its a representative to offer insight into what an individual can expect from the college. In the very eye of the horseshoe lay a table of snacks and refreshments for the representatives. The scene was radiant with each college’s banner bringing its tidbit of the color spectrum. Violet, red, blue—you name it. 

Shane Ryan, a representative for Salisbury University in Maryland, touched on what he looks for in a student. 

“Well-rounded: someone who knows themself. Someone who is ‘out there,’” said Ryan. By “out there,” Ryan was implying that his college looks for students who are involved in extracurricular activities; academics aren’t the only priority in the process of application reviewing, he said.

Julia Hall, an admission counselor at Suny Polytechnic Institute (SPTI),  in Utica, New York, also talked about what she looks for in students. Because the average GPA of SPTI is 3.3 (B+), it somewhat acts as a standard in acceptance. However, Hall doesn’t let a grade define someone’s capabilities. 

“I never ever read to deny,” Hall said, adding that she searches for extracurriculars and references. “I’ll pull whatever I can in the students’ favor before denial.”

Other representatives shared an open-minded approach. “I’m so big on open-mindedness,” said Samantha Miller, a representative for Elms College in Chicopee, Massachusetts. “Literally, I am all for positive vibes!” 

So, the takeaway? A good student isn’t limited to one definition. An open-minded and optimistic individual is an appealing one. Genuine interest will prevail amongst genuine applicants and Miller takes note of that. 

“More of a personal preference, but, when a student can hold eye contact and listen intently, human to human, it’s very appealing to me,” Miller said.

Not far from where Miller was talking with students, Evelynn Labbe, a senior at Minnechaug, was eagerly searching for Smith College, a liberal arts, women-based school in Northampton. 

“I couldn’t find it,” she said. Labbe was fixed upon a women-based college. “I did check out the Elms booth, but I have my mind set on something else.” 

Haile Barnett, another senior, was in search of a good nursing program. 

“A good campus and a good academic program is enough to sell me,” she said, adding she was committed to East Carolina University. “I’m slightly nervous about college. New people, new places, new courses, but I am excited.”