The Student News Site of Minnechaug Regional High School

The Smoke Signal

The Smoke Signal

The Smoke Signal

Polls

In remote learning, do you find more of your friends/classmates are finding ways to cheat on assignments?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Sam’s Weather Report

Weather for the Week

With a somewhat below-average beginning to the week with temperatures in the mid-70s, after Wednesday it warms up WAY above average, Thursday and Friday are expected to be in the high 80s to low 90s. The worst thing is it will be humid as well. Friday brings a cold front, hopefully bringing some good thunderstorms into the region before reaching seasonable and dry conditions, around 80 this weekend. Enjoy the weekend as it appears to get worse next week with some weather models showing temps approaching 100 degrees. Currently, I am more concerned with Friday, possibly bringing severe storms. These will likely have more of a wind and small hail threat but it could have a brief spin-up but it’s too early to say now.

What’s Going on in the Weather World?

Hurricane season is here, which means it’s a good time to review Hurricane Preparations here in Massachusetts. We may be inland but have seen catastrophic events far from hurricanes. The picture above is of Hurricane Diane in August 1955. This hurricane brought almost 20” of rain into Western MA. There have also been storms that have gone up the CT River in the 1970s. The key thing to avoid impact from tropical systems is: If you are in the path of a storm, take down anything that might fly away; hammocks, chairs, etc.

If you are near a river or low-lying area, prepare to evacuate the area as flooding is especially deadly. Stay inside. Don’t be upstairs or downstairs, tornadoes and floods respectively are a risk. Get stocked up on at least three days of water and food. Make sure everything is charged or has batteries. Be prepared to see damage afterward. And one big thing: If you are in the eye, do NOT stay outside. If you come outside, as soon as the eye moves over you, it will go from sunshine to 10x worse like that. Take a quick look and get back inside.

This will be the last article for this school year, I will be back in September, I hope everyone has a good summer break and I will see you all in September.

Notice: Pursuant to state law, no expression made by students in the exercise of such rights shall be deemed to be an expression of school policy and no school officials shall be held responsible in any civil or criminal action for any expression made or published by the students.