Editor in Chief Says Goodbye

Quinn Suomala, Editor in Chief

Dear Smoke Signal Readers,

I have been a part of the Smoke Signal for the past two years. During this time, Smoke Signal has gone completely online, and we have seen our reader base grow. You have no idea how grateful I am to see those numbers go up. These past two years have not been easy, what with a global pandemic and all, but I think we have managed to learn and grow despite it. I am so proud of the staff I have had the pleasure to work with over the years, they have made being a part of this club something special. Each and every one of you has put so much into this paper and I am so glad I got to share this experience with you. 

As I write this final story of my high school career, I leave the Smoke Signal with some hopes. I am leaving the Smoke Signal in the very capable hands of Abyssinia Haile and Lilliana DiGrande. With these two capable people, I know the Smoke Signal will only flourish. Between Aby and Lilli, I hope to see our multimedia section grow and for our news articles to only continue to improve. These two capable writers and creators will work hard to improve our interactions with our user base and to ensure that the Minnechaug community stays informed of what is going on around them. I am happy to leave the Smoke Signal in their hands. 

Before I go, I would also like to take this opportunity to give recognition to the staff that have helped me this year. First, to the seniors. 

Kailey: Kailey, I doubt you quite knew what you were getting into when I got you to join the staff this year. You’ve helped me greatly to organize meetings, spread the word of the Smoke Signal and edit content. You were a consistent face in each meeting and I am so grateful for the work you’ve put in this year. 

Claire: With every meeting you attend, you always bring fresh ideas and perspectives. At each planning meeting, you worked to come up with ideas that would interest all the different people in our community and that would span across different kinds of media. Thank you for always being willing to try something new.

Next, to the underclassmen who helped to keep this paper going. 

Seth: Seth, your entertainment articles helped to keep our paper lighthearted and interesting this year. You did an excellent job ensuring that the Smoke Signal stayed up-to-date with new movies and music, and you always provided an interesting take. 

Bailey: You came in fresh from Mr. O’Connor’s journalism class, and I could not be more grateful that you did. Your feature article “Female wrestler fights her way to the top” was one of our biggest this year. You were dedicated to connecting with different people in the community and you were willing to branch out into different important subjects. Thank you, and I hope you continue on with the Smoke Signal in the future.

There have been many other people who have contributed to the Smoke Signal throughout this year. While you may not have joined officially, or you may have only popped in for a meeting or two, I am still so grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedules to assist in an article. 

Another big thank you to Mr. O’Connor, our advisor. You have worked hard throughout the past several years, even before I came into the Smoke Signal, and the paper has made it through because of it. You are always ready to provide someone with helpful advice, whether it be on what topic to write about, how to conduct an interview, or how to approach writing a certain article. You have done so much for the Smoke Signal, and you will be missed next year when you take your, well deserved, break. 

Finally, I would like to thank two very important people, Aby and Lilli. As I already mentioned, Aby and Lilli will be the next Editor In Chiefs of the Smoke Signal. The two of them will have the responsibility of the Smoke Signal in the years to come, and I know you two will do well despite the challenges that are sure to come. 

Aby: Aby, your new multimedia content has brought new life to the paper. I am so grateful for all the time and effort you have put into making this paper something new. Your videos and podcasts have brought a different type of content to the paper, and I can’t wait to see how you continue to improve in the years to come. 

Lilli: Lilli, your news articles are always on point. You have a natural affinity for asking questions and for ensuring that your articles cover every part of an issue. You are an amazing writer and I know you will make the paper proud. 

Thank you all again for giving me the opportunity to be the Editor in Chief this year, I hope I have made you proud. I have full faith that this paper will continue to thrive and grow as the years go by, and I can’t wait to see how it does. Best of luck in the years ahead.

Sincerely,

Quinn Suomala